Permitting for Docks and Floats in RI

Is a wetland permit required to build a dock or float?

Yes, all docks and floats proposed on any waterbody require a permit from the Department of Environmental Management (DEM), or from the Coastal Resource Management Council (CRMC).   If the dock is proposed either on salt water or within freshwater wetlands located within the vicinity of the coast (refer to Rule 3.02 ), CRMC is the permitting agency. Docks or floats on all other freshwater waterbodies, including lakes, ponds, or rivers, must receive a Wetland Permit from DEM.
This fact sheet addresses DEM requirements:  Download the full pdf here

Excerpt from